BooksForKidsBlog

Saturday, February 05, 2011

Simple Truths: And I Love You by Ruth Krauss

BIG STORIES
LOVE LITTLE WORDS.

BIG SORROWS
LOVE LITTLE TEARS.

Venerable author Ruth Krauss's 1987 book Big and Little, has been remastered, so to speak, in Scholastic's And I Love You (2010), gloriously illustrated by the award-winning Steven Kellogg.

Krauss's little poem is simple, a soothing repetition of big things that love little things that are part of them--dark city streets and bright lamp posts, ample forests and little trees, big seas and tiny seashells --in a refrain which undergirds the final "And I love you" between parent and child. Kellogg here offers his familiar soft-textured animals and usual pastel palette of greens, blues, and yellows, but his wider landscapes and subtly textured watercolors have the breadth and sweep that only a master illustrator can bring to this little volume.

A tender Valentine from parent or grandparent to child, And I Love You is a warm and wonderful way to express the beauty of protective love.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

  • As soon as I saw the cover, I knew Kellogg was the illustrator! I love his work!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:57 AM  

Post a Comment



<< Home