BooksForKidsBlog

Saturday, April 14, 2007

Color Me Clean!: Take Me Out of the Bathtub and Other Silly Dilly Songs

If you know some kids whose giggle boxes are turned over by picture books like I Ain't Gonna Paint No More!, reviewed in a previous post, illustrator David Catrow has hooked up with television writer Alan Katz to come up with another super silly book, Take Me Out of the Bathtub and Other Silly Dilly Songs.

Katz and Catrow take 14 well-known tunes like "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" and turn them into "silly dilly songs" such as the title ditty:

Take me out of the bathtub,
Take me out, I'm clean!

Then there's that not-so-squeaky-clean silly song, "The Yogurt Flies Straight from My Brother," (to the tune of "My Bonny Lies Over the Ocean"), with this well-deserved chorus:

Food fight, food fight
There'll be no more food fights for me, for me.
Food fight, food fight,
I'm grounded til I'm 23!

To the tune of "I've Been Working on the Railroad" we see a much-put-upon girl, moaning

I've been cleaning up my bedroom, all the livelong day.
I've been cleaning up my bedroom, just to put my stuff away
.
And while we're on the subject of things that need to be cleaned, there's "Stinky, Stinky Diaper Change" sung to the tune of "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star," with just enough gross-out detail to keep the reader going as the baby gets nice and clean, only to (whoops!) need another "stinky, stinky diaper change" right away. Then, to the tune of that patriotic favorite "Yankee Doodle," there is Katz' and Catrow's charming spoof, "Cranky Poodle."

Cranky Poodle, you're a pest,
Wish you were a gup-py.
Oh, no, guess what my mom told me!
Our poodle just had pup-pies!


And wait! Th-e-r-e'-s MORE. Katz and Catrow have collaborated on a sequel, I'm Still Here in the Bathtub: Brand New Silly Dilly Songs, so if your chorus craves an encore, it's available.

If you have a car trip or sleepover party coming up, these two books should keep the kid chorus singing and laughing through many of these silly dilly songs.

2 Comments:

  • Thanks for this blog!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:26 PM  

  • Dear Anonymous 9:26,
    Thank you!

    By Blogger GTC, at 8:41 PM  

Post a Comment



<< Home