BooksForKidsBlog

Friday, December 07, 2007

Stocking Stuffer? It's a Hoot...It's a Scream... It's the Flying, Screaming Monkey Toy

For some reason known only to the Sorcerers of Spam, I've been blessed multiple times this week with ads for a flying monkey toy. The sources are various, including that large online retail site named after a large South American river. (No, it's not Orinoco.com.) For a full description, look here.

The plush monkeys, which seem to be launched by pulling back on an elastic band, look like a real hoot, marketed for ages 4 and up. One of the ads has testimonials from adults who had been a hit at their office by passing out these monkeys.

Does anyone have first-hand experience with this critter? Is it soft enough to be safe when kids inevitably shoot them at each other? Does it have lead paint? Is it from, oh, let me guess, China? (duh!) Does it really soar as hyped? Are we not in Kansas anymore?

If you have any experience with the Flying Monkey, leave a comment.

Labels:

13 Comments:

  • The elastic broke after about 5 launches. C-.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 10:35 PM  

  • I am a high school teacher who has been launching screaming monkeys down a very long school hallway for years. I haven't had one break yet, and nobody has ever been harmed when they accidentally got in the way. (I offer as proof of this my continuing employment). This is a great toy. Use multiples for competition.

    By Blogger baley, at 10:42 PM  

  • Mine works great and the flying squeling pig is even better.

    Jim in Richmond

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:58 PM  

  • I bought one for los ninos and it works fine. It's so light and un-aerodynamic that it would very, very difficult to hurt someone with it.
    Like any toy that screams, it can become tiresome to cranky adults.

    By Blogger El Duderino, at 11:01 PM  

  • Is it cheese-eating?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:21 PM  

  • My manager launches his monkey around the cube farm to break-up the tension and monotony. I have brought my daughter to work on several occasions for the past year and she (now 1.5 yrs) plays with it and loves it. The cape and the mask have fallen off though. The mask may be a choking hazard...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:41 PM  

  • Ours was soft and durable, although you probably don't want to be shooting it at people's faces. The scream can be annoying, though, and it struck fear into the hearts of our dogs.

    Which probably explains why they tore it to shreds one day when we weren't paying attention. :)

    By Blogger CGrim, at 11:46 PM  

  • Well, I have to say at least you aren't getting the volumes of personal digit enlargements (ahem) that are flooding my work e-mail. I've suddenly gotten my sacred work e-mail on a list somehow and the e-mails are multiplying in the night.

    I'd much prefer Screaming Monkeys.

    By Blogger Going Crunchy, at 12:13 AM  

  • RE: anonymous 11:41
    If my manager ever launches his monkey in the office, I'm quitting.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:35 AM  

  • i bought one of these flying monkeys and within three days it ran off with our entire petty cash budget.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:33 AM  

  • The first time our 2-year-old granddaughter heard the thing scream, she said, " don't like the monkey!" We sent it home with our 3-year-old niece, although I think my sister-in-law chucked it out the window on the way home...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:55 AM  

  • It was a source of great joy and mirth around our office. Then it hit the wall (literally) and stopped screaming. Not nearly so much fun now.

    By Blogger Patrick, at 10:32 AM  

  • My 13 year old son loves it. It drives me crazy!! So that's pretty much the perfect requirement for a toy. Incidentally, our dogs also like it and repeatedly try to eat it...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:38 AM  

Post a Comment



<< Home