BooksForKidsBlog

Monday, March 17, 2008

You May Be a Kid If....: Dirt on My Shirt by Jeff Foxworthy

I lost my favorite hat. I don't know where it's at.
I looked around my room, I looked beneath the cat.

I looked inside the bathtub, I looked under the sink.
Where did I leave my hat? I tried to think and think....

About to cry, I found my mom. "I've lost my hat," I said.
She smiled and said, I FOUND it! It's sitting on your head!"

Redneck bard and TV host Jeff Foxworthy may not be smarter than a fifth grader, but his new book of poems, Dirt on My Shirt, shows that he's right on kids' wavelength.

Short and simple rhymes chronicle the daily life of a boy who is not afraid to get dirt on his shirt and mud on his boots. This kid's world is filled with cats, cows, sheep, funny and memorable family members like Aunt Foo Foo, a shared hatred for spinach, and a lively imaginative life which takes him to Planet Woosocket and back. And then, there's that special time in the woods:

DEER

An eye,
then an ear.
I think I see a deer.
I hide behind
that big tree.
A stomp,
then a flash,
and he's gone
in a dash.
I think the deer
just saw me.

For fans of Shel Silverstein and Jack Prelutsky, Foxworthy shows he has just the right touch with a rhyme and a line to tickle kids' funnybones.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • do you have any read aloud suggestions for 4 year olds in a Jewish school-perhaps one about spring with a repeating chorus?

    By Blogger anne s., at 6:33 PM  

  • Oh, I love him! I have to order this. Shannon

    By Blogger Going Crunchy, at 8:28 PM  

Post a Comment



<< Home