BooksForKidsBlog

Sunday, May 04, 2008

Two Especially (But Not Exclusively) for Mothers : You Were Loved Before You Were Born and MA! There's Nothing to Do Here!

Two mega-stars of the elementary firmament, Eve Bunting and Barbara Park, have tackled a difficult topic, one which straddles the boundary between books for the young and books for their parents as well. Waiting for baby is a big deal, whether you are the expectant parents or the expectant grandparents, or even the expectant siblings, and Eve and Barbara have two brand-new, very different but equally appealing takes on this life-changing event.

Caldecott author Eve Bunting's You Were Loved Before You Were Born shows the parents-in-waiting busy making ready for the soon-to-be-born child. Written as a time capsule love letter from the mother and father to their future child, the text details how they prepare a place in their home and in their hearts for their little newcomer. The to-be grandmother plants "a rosebush in the garden that will grow as you grow;" the grandpa brings over a rocking chair. "I sat in it to rock your sisters and then you," Grandma explains to the mother-to-be.

Everyone helps paint and decorate the nursery room, and the aunt-to-be adds a moon and stars to the ceiling. Cousins help sort and put away the lovingly-kept hand-me-downs from earlier babies, nephews bring old toys, and the neighbor makes a butterfly kite. "It'll be a while before baby will be big enough to fly a kite," the mother says. "I can wait," the neighbor replies. "We told the dog you would be here soon," the parents say, "and then--YOU came."

"You were loved by so many people before you were born ... and you still are."

In contrast, best-selling humorist Barbara Park (of Junie B. Jones fame) views the family situation from the viewpoint of the babe in utero. Ma! There's Nothing to Do Here! A Word from your Baby-in-Waiting (Picture Book) is a witty but poignant plea from the little one inside, as he looks forward to the joys of being in the big, wide world.

I'm all in a heap here.
My feet are asleep here.
I'm flat out of space;
I've got knees in my face.
I'm totally bored
with this dumb bungee cord.
I'm not kidding you--
There's NOTHING to do!

If I just had a truck
or a small yellow duck,
or a cat or a bug
or a teddy bear named DOUG!

The baby warns his parents that even when he's finally out there, there may be some, er, issues:

Plus, my head's kinda wobbly
I'll need support, prob'ly,
And nights might get bumpy.
I'll wake full of grumpy.

So, Ma, here's the plan--
Let's rest while we can.
I'll stay in here longer,
Get bigger and stronger.
Then, ready--set--YAY!
I'll come out to play.

Inspired by the ultrasound portrait of her own first grandchild and written as a shower gift for the second grandchild, Park's jaunty rhyming text teams with illustrations by Viviana Garofoli to create the perfect book for the expectant mom and dad. Siblings-in-waiting will also enjoy Park's humorous take on life from a "womb without a view." As the babe signs out with an "I love you, Your Baby," we see the expectant mid-section of Ma as she rocks in her waiting nursery--with, what else, a teddy named Doug all ready and waiting, cradled on her crowded lap.

As a shower or baby gift for new mothers or as a remembrance for mothers looking back on the joys of looking forward, these two books bring a few smiles and more than a few tugs at the heart strings. Happy Mother's Day to all.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

  • My best friend is pregnant and I've been thinking about getting her some books for part of her baby shower gift basket. I'm going to add these two...I might have to get a copy for myself too. My son is almost five months old and they both sound like they describe the way I felt when I was prenant. Thanks for the excellent review!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:00 PM  

  • Thank you, Robin!

    By Blogger GTC, at 5:50 PM  

Post a Comment



<< Home