BooksForKidsBlog

Sunday, June 15, 2008

The Night before Summer Camp by Natasha Wing

T'was the night before day camp,
When at the town park,
The counselors were working
'Til well after dark.

But while the camp counselors are ready to go, back home there is a minor rebellion at the breakfast table, as the young camper begins to get that common first-timer malady tenderfootus coldfeetus:

"I don't know anyone there.
I'll be gone all day.
Can't I just go over
To Tommy's and play?

Mom persuades the tenderfoot to give it a tryout for the day, and he's luckily drawn in right away by a empathetic counselor named Kim. With the Lion Cubs he plunges into swim lessons and wins her praise:

Kick you feet! Move your arms!
Place your face in the water!
Excellent, Rick!
You swim like an otter!

Our camper enjoys building bark boats, and as the Cubs sail them in the lake, he sees a beautiful mother doe and her two fawns.

But when the kids return to pavilion for lunch, Rick realizes that he misses his mom too much to feel hungry. Rick confides that he's still feeling strange at camp, and Counselor Kim sits down beside him and shares a secret with Rick:

Kim smiled and said, "Hey, little Cub,
I'm new, just like you.
This is my very first job.
I'm away from home, too.

Last night I tossed
And turned in my bed.
I couldn't get the jitters
Out of my head!"

"Same here," replied Rick.
I really understand.
So whenever you're nervous,
Just hold on to my hand."

The Night Before Summer Camp (Reading Railroad Books), Natasha Wing's latest "Night Before" book, uses the comforting cadence of Clement Moore's "Visit from St. Nicholas" to ease youngsters into their first day camp or sleepover camp experience. Wing's verse, while humorous and bouncy, puts words to fears and negative feelings that children themselves may not be able to verbalize and shows even a reluctant child learning to handle his mixed emotions about this new experience.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home