BooksForKidsBlog

Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Primary Concern: as if being 12 3/4 isn't bad enough, my mother is running for president! by Donna Gephart

REASONS MOM SHOULD NOT RUN FOR PRESIDENT:

1. I need her more than the rest of the country.

2. Mom will have to shake hands with a million people and might catch a horrible disease, like what happened to the president on that show 24.

3. As if enough photographers don't already snap my picture when I look my absolute worst. Can't Mom wait to do this until I'm out of my awkward stage, you know, like when I'm thirty?

4. And the most important reason Mom shouldn't run for president is I don't want anything to happen to her.

Vanessa Rothrock is a typical almost-teenager; she can't get by without her BFF Emma, she's always tripping over her own big feet, her hair gets the frizzies, she prays nightly for the Boob Fairy to visit, and she can't help crushing on the Reginald Trumball, the cutest boy in her class.

Besides that, no problems. Except that she's studying for the regional spelling bee and can't turn off her internal speller every time she hears a big word. And, oh, yeah, her mom is off somewhere running for President of the United States.

If Vanessa thought her mom was too busy just being governor of Florida, things get so much worse while she's campaigning for Super Tuesday. Vanessa finds herself making an appointment just to talk to her. And when she finally tells her mother about the death threats showing up in her locker, she finds herself with Secret Service details sitting in her classrooms and guarding her locker. The good news is that no more scary notes show up there. The bad news is that she stops getting those sweet notes from her mystery admirer too.

As the July nominating convention draws closer and the source of the death threats is not tracked down, Vanessa feels she must save her mom's life by preventing her nomination, but she's just not sure she has the nerve to do what she has to do.

Despite the real suspense, As If Being 12 3/4 Isn't Bad Enough, My Mother Is Running for President! is basically a very funny story of an awkward, self-conscious seventh grader forced by circumstance to step into the too-bright light of notoriety at exactly the wrong moment in her life. But by the time she's 13 1/4, Vanessa finds that she has plenty of what it takes--if not grace in motion--to spare.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • Greetings!

    Here I was, looking over my favorite blogs this morning when I saw a familiar title. Thank you for the thoughtful and generous review. (Did my family pay you to write it?)
    What a fine way to begin the day!

    Best regards,
    Donna

    By Blogger Wild About Words, at 10:25 AM  

  • Dear Donna,
    Thank you for the kind comment! Your words were a great way to start MY day!

    Send me a review copy of your next book and I'll be delighted to post on it here.

    Best wishes,
    GTC

    By Blogger GTC, at 8:17 AM  

Post a Comment



<< Home