BooksForKidsBlog

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Lad on the Lam: Alfie Runs Away by Kenneth M. Cadow

Alfie's had it with the home front. Baths are a bore, and bed making is a drag. But that's all tolerable until mom makes one impossible demand:

BUT NOW THINGS HAD GONE TOO FAR.

MOM WANTED TO THROW AWAY HIS FAVORITE SHOES!

"I'M RUNNING AWAY!" ALFIE DECLARES.

Mom means well. She points out that Alfie has just outgrown those great red sneakers, and they're only going to get tighter until he gives them up. But Alfie loves those shoes. Sometimes a guy just has to take charge of the situation. Alfie grabs his blanket and little pillow and declares his independence.

Mom is only too helpful.

"IF YOU RUN AWAY, YOU MIGHT GET THIRSTY" SAID HIS MOTHER. "WOULD YOU LIKE A WATER BOTTLE WITH NICE COLD WATER?"

Mom loads Alfie up with gear--a flashlight and extra batteries, a jar of peanut butter and some crackers, a box of raisins, which Alfie rejects, his beloved Buddy Bear for company, some books for entertainment,and a big bag to put all his stuff in.

"MAY I GIVE YOU A HUG?" ASKED HIS MOTHER.

"YOU MAY LET ME KEEP MY SHOES," SAID ALFIE.

"I'LL PUT A HUG IN THE BAG," SAID HIS MOTHER, AND SHE PUT HER ARMS IN THE BAG.

"YOU'RE BEING SILLY," SAID ALFIE. "GOODBYE."


Alfie can hardly carry it all, but he manages to haul his bulging bag to a secluded part of the back yard, where things follow the predictable script. Alfie enjoys his freedom, his books, and when he gets hungry, his peanut butter crackers. The warm day passes pleasantly enough, although Alfie's toes are beginning to feel a bit blistery inside his red shoes. Then the sun moves behind the house, and in the growing shadows Alfie feels a bit chilly. His thoughts turn to snuggling with Buddy in his own bed. On a whim, he checks his bag for the hug. Nothing. Then Alfie has a brainstorm.

HE LOOKED AT BUDDY BEAR.

"DON'T WORRY. WE DON'T HAVE TO RUN AWAY FOREVER.

THOSE SHOES WILL NEVER GET TOO SMALL FOR YOU."

Impasse solved. Kenneth M. Cadow's new Alfie Runs Away (Farrar, Straus & Giroux, 2010) catches a moment of compromise in growing up with a main character who comes up with a wonderful conflict resolution. Fitting those red shoes snugly on Buddy Bear's feet, Alfie heads for the house where his mom is just coming out to finally deliver her hug in person. It's a warm and appealing story, ably amplified by Lauren Castillo's soft illustrations of the steadfast Alfie and the deadpan Buddy Bear, charmingly reminiscent of both Bernard Waber's classic Ira Sleeps Over (Live Oak Readalong) and A. A. Milne's Christopher Robin stories.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • After being in relationship with Wilson for seven years,he broke up with me, I did everything possible to bring him back but all was in vain, I wanted him back so much because of the love I have for him, I begged him with everything, I made promises but he refused. I explained my problem to someone online and she suggested that I should contact a spell caster that could help me cast a spell to bring him back but I am the type that donโ€™t believed in spell, I had no choice than to try it, I meant a spell caster called Dr Zuma zuk and I email him, and he told me there was no problem that everything will be okay before three days, that my ex will return to me before three days, he cast the spell and surprisingly in the second day, it was around 4pm. My ex called me, I was so surprised, I answered the call and all he said was that he was so sorry for everything that happened, that he wanted me to return to him, that he loves me so much. I was so happy and went to him, that was how we started living together happily again. Since then, I have made promise that anybody I know that have a relationship problem, I would be of help to such person by referring him or her to the only real and powerful spell caster who helped me with my own problem and who is different from all the fake ones out there. Anybody could need the help of the spell caster, his email: spiritualherbalisthealing@gmail.com or call him +2348105150446 you can email him if you need his assistance in your relationship or anything. CONTACT HIM NOW FOR SOLUTION TO ALL YOUR PROBLEMSโ€™

    By Blogger Jessica L. Smith, at 4:40 AM  



  • I want everyone to know how grateful Iโ€™m after the restoration of my marriage with the help of a spell caster who brought peace back to my home. Called Robinson Buckler. He is great and unique, i met him in estes park and i told him my problems and he cast a love spell that brought my husband back to me after he has cheated and wanted a divorce. Robinson Buckler is there to respond to your relationship problems. reach him on Email____________________ Robinson.buckler @{{yahoo.}} com... or also write him on WhatsApp +12533361750......๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚

    By Blogger Cameron Ayala, at 2:16 PM  

Post a Comment



<< Home