BooksForKidsBlog

Monday, January 17, 2011

An American Legacy: Of Thee I Sing: A Letter to His Daughters by Barack Obama

HAVE I TOLD YOU LATELY HOW WONDERFUL YOU ARE?

HAVE I TOLD YOU THAT YOU ARE CREATIVE?

GEORGIA O'KEEFE. . . HELPED US SEE BEAUTY IN WHAT IS SMALL: THE HARDNESS OF STONE AND THE SOFTNESS OF FEATHERS.

HAVE I TOLD YOU THAT YOU ARE BRAVE?

JACKIE ROBINSON. . . GAVE BRAVE DREAMS TO DREAMERS.

Written by Barack Obama in 2007, Of Thee I Sing: A Letter to My Daughters (Alfred A. Knopf, 2010) is a tribute to thirteen varied Americans whose personal qualities he wishes to share with his daughters. From Jane Addams, who tried to bring health, education, and joy to poor children, they learn kindness; from Billie Holiday they see the beauty of music that brings joy to listeners. From Albert Einstein they see that it is good to be smart, to help people understand the importance of energy and light, and from the Viet Nam Veterans' Wall they learn the essence of sacrifice.

HAVE I TOLD YOU TO BE PROUD TO BE AMERICAN? GEORGE WASHINGTON. . . HELPED MAKE AN IDEA INTO A NEW COUNTRY, A COUNTRY OF CITIZENS.

HAVE I TOLD YOU THAT THEY ARE ALL PART OF YOU?

. . . AND THAT YOU ARE THE FUTURE?

... AND HAVE I TOLD YOU THAT I LOVE YOU?

Award-winning artist Loren Long contributes beautiful illustrations which evoke the energy and hope of childhood and honor the young experiences and adult achievements of those Americans who have contributed to our national consciousness. Of Thee I Sing: A Letter to My Daughters is a great readaloud for primary classes leading into those January and February units on great Americans and a great way for a parent to share their love for country with a child.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home