BooksForKidsBlog

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

R.I.P! How They Croaked (The Awful End of Awfully Famous) by Georgia Bragg



This book is full of bad news.
If you don't have the guts for gore,

DO NOT READ THIS BOOK.

What self-respecting middle schooler would obey that warning?

How the famous and infamous of the world croaked, er, passed away, promises at least not to be deadly boring, and in the hands of author Georgia Bragg and comic artist Kevin Malloy, the dead are the only ones not amuseds by their How They Croaked: The Awful Ends of the Awfully Famous (Walker and Company, 2011).

King Tut, "more famous for being dead than for being alive," died of several combined causes, among them Kroehler's Disease and malaria, but fortuitously he had provided for plenty of comforts in the afterlife, and his mummy has provided scientists with plenty of employment for more than a century. And speaking of mummies, One of Blagg's Cool Facts text boxes points out that a mummy's eyeballs, shrunken to almost nothing over the centuries, can be rehydrated to near full size by soaking in water! Talk about double vision!

Famous last words of Winston Churchill? "I'm bored with it all."

Famous last words of Benjamin Franklin? "A dying man can do nothing easily."


Famous Suggested Epitaphs:

Edgar Allan Poe? Woe is Poe.

Elizabeth I? She kept her head about her.

James A. Garfield? James Who?

Marie Curie? You Glow, Girl!

The scary season calls for some gravely serious graveyard humor, and the famous dead are all here--from Napoleon Bonaparte to Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, from George Washington to Cleopatra, in Bragg's and Malloy's How They Croaked: The Awful Ends of the Awfully Famous.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • First, I want to say how much I love your blog. You are my go-to source for books for my children. I have a question for you. Right now I am completing my bachelor's degree in Elementary Education with a minor in Reading/Language Arts. My true passion is reading and introducing kids to the joys of reading. I was wondering if you could let me know more about what your job as an elementary school librarian. How much of the job is working with children and books and how much time is spent with material management? Thank you so much. You can reply to me at ghcertain@hotmail.com if you prefer.

    By Anonymous Georgia, at 9:13 AM  

Post a Comment



<< Home