BooksForKidsBlog

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Costumed Canines? Dogs on Parade by Barbara Joosse

WE'RE ON PARADE!

We came to show off our diggity best.

Prancing poodles and wizardly wire terriers get dressed, some happily, some not so much!--for a costumed dog parade. Each one has his or her own opinion about the whole operation. Walter is wary:

I SHOULD BE FIERCE. I KNOW THAT. BUT COULD I HIDE BEHIND YOUR LEG?

...A PARADE? BUT I DON'T WANT ANYONE TO SEE ME. I WANT TO DISAPPEAR.

IS THIS IT?
THANK YOU.
I'M A--GHOST!

At last all the canines are in costume in Caldecott-winner Barbara Joosse's Dog Parade (Harcourt, 2011). It's pooches proudly on parade, with Gracie-pants, Lovie, Fritzie, Tinkles, Weenie, Jack, and even the unwilling Walter, incognito under his ghostly shroud, proudly strutting their stuff. Joose's deft rhyming text, and artist Eugene Yelchin's playful pictures of pooches with lots of personality (guess how Tinkles got his name and what Weenie wears) make this one a comic romp for canine lovers.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home