BooksForKidsBlog

Monday, July 08, 2013

Got Sunglasses? Pete the Cat: Pete at the Beach by James Dean

PETE THE CAT GOES TO THE BEACH WITH HIS MOM AND BROTHER BOB.

"LET'S GO IN THE WATER!" SAYS BOB.

"... MAYBE LATER," SAYS PETE.

It's a hot day at the beach, and big brother Bob hits the waves with his surfboard, while Pete the Cat watches from the safety of the shore.

There's lots more to do, thinks Pete, watching the waves warily. He builds an elaborate sand castle, and Mom helps dig the moat. It's a great castle--until a big wave rolls in! Oh, no! Gotta watch those waves!

Pete surveys his demolished castle just as Bob rides a wave right to the beach.
"WOW! THAT LOOKS LIKE FUN!" THINKS PETE.

Still, Pete is unsure about that restless water. After all, look what it did to his sand castle.

Mom invites him along on a beach walk and they collect some groovy shells. That's all good, but now Pete realizes that he's hot, really HOT! A dunk in the ocean is looking better and better!

In James Dean's summery I-Can-Read Pete the Cat book, Pete the Cat: Pete at the Beach (My First I Can Read) (Harper, 2013), Pete the Cat ventures to get more than his feet wet as Brother Bob gives him his first surfing lessons and Pete affirms that while it's all right to be a little afraid of the waves, it's more fun to surf on top of them.  In fact, it's all good!

Other Pete I-Can-Read beginning readers include Pete the Cat: Pete's Big Lunch (My First I Can Read), and Pete the Cat: Play Ball! (My First I Can Read).

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home