BooksForKidsBlog

Friday, March 12, 2021

Words of Wisdom from Amphibians! Frog and Toad--A Little book of Big Thoughts by Arnold Lobel

What can a yellow toad and a green frog tell us about friendship?? Quite a bit, in a comprehensive look back at Arnold Lobol's best-selling, award-winning I-Can-Read books, four of them, which, in addition to teaching early graders to read, imparts much more about making and keeping a friendship.

Frog and Toad have their moments of truth:

Friends tell you the truth....

"Frog, you are looking quite green!" said Toad, offering an ailing Frog a cup of curative tea.

 "But I always look green, Toad. I AM a frog!"

Even when it's hard to hear....

"You must not look at me in my bathing suit while I am getting in the water because I look funny in my bathing suit," said Toad.

"But Toad, you do look funny in your bathing suit," said Frog.

And when you don't feel like doing anything worthwhile, friends lie down and take a nap with you.

Even when you are in a totally grumpy mood, friends are flexible--ready to come back to visit...

..."about half-past May!!

Friends are there to share a pot of tea when their adventure plans are rained out, and to share cooling ice cream cones when the sun is out, and to just sit together and dream big dreams, in the new, retrospective look back from Arnold Lobel's quartet of books,Frog and Toad are Friends, Frog and Toad Together (I Can Read Level 2), Frog and Toad All Year (I Can Read Level 2), Days with Frog and Toad (I Can Read, Level 2) in Frog and Toad: A Little Book of Big Thoughts (Harper, 2020). For emergent independent readers, these gently humorous books are just the best.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home