BooksForKidsBlog

Saturday, March 21, 2009

Could be Verse: Smelly Feet Sandwich and Other Silly Poems by Allia Zobel-Nolan


My TV is broken,
My book is half read.
I'm boreder than bored.
I'm out of my head.

"I think I can help you out, dear,"
Said my mother.
"You can rake up the leaves,
Take that snake from your brother.

Walk the cat. Feed the fish.
Match some socks if you please.
Change your sister, and then,
Spray the ferret for fleas.

You can vacuum the hall,
The tub needs some scrubbing.
The dog fought a skunk,
So he'll need quite a rubbing.

Mind the baby so she
Doesn't eat her balloon.
What's the matter?" said Mom.
"Are you leaving so soon?"

Allia Zobel-Nolan's new Smelly Feet Sandwich: And Other Silly Poems is a collection of, well, silly poems which offer an easy appetizer for the introduction of poetry to elementary-aged students. Poems like the above "I'm Not Bored Anymore!" or "The Wiggly Tooth" and "Yikes! It's Aunt Bea!" play with experiences common to the early elementary schooler in easy-to-read verse. Kate Leake's comic kid narrators fit right in with the rollicking rhymes that tickle the funnybone and go down easy for Poetry Month reading.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home