BooksForKidsBlog

Saturday, June 11, 2016

Wonder Land? I Wonder by Essea White

I wonder...

If sheep knit woolen socks?

Hmm! The rest of the sheep's bodies look snug in their woolly fleeces, but their little black legs do look a bit chilly. And what else would they use to knit with but organic wool yarn?

But how about goats eating ice cream sundaes?

Well, goats will eat anything! So why not?

Essea White goes the gamut from the conceivable to the ironic and all the way to downright silly in her I Wonder (Redemption Press, 2015), an essay on imagination that takes the reader on a trip down-the-rabbit-hole to her own Wonder land. As Alice said, Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast,”and author White offers fifteen rather absurd possibilities in rhyming quatrains, one line per double-page spread. One spread even offers a would-be stand-up comic beaver who's not quite ready for Comedy Central and who completely befuddles his straight man:


Knock, Knock!

Who's there?

I forgot!

I forgot WHO?

Um, I forgot the joke!

Sigh.

It's quite the show with their offbeat pooches, rock-dancing llamas, kite-flying skunks, and a mariner bear sailing the catboat Clara Mae, all of them done up in pen-and- ink line and lovely color-coded pastel pages that charm the eye.

What impossible things can you imagine before breakfast? Join the free-range fun in I Wonder.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home